Monday, August 06, 2007

A weekend of firsts

I had a great weekend. Asked to participate in a project that will most likely not see the light of day before another year has passed, I've refrained from blogging or even talking about it much. I know others have, it's just been my own inclination not to. I think it's also the proper show of respect for the originators. But it's been loads of fun. Definitely beyond my comfort zone. Discovery, things falling into place, a creative community. I've met a range of new people I like immensely, including two 30ish-year-old twins. They are extraordinary both in terms of their zest for life and positive energy. I was marveling from start to finish, just grateful to be in their force field.

Last night we ended up after the works hours in a rented karaoke room. Old hat for most of them, a first for me. What a crazy reality! I mean of course I'd heard of it. I'd seen the mexican restaurant back rooms, pictured portable machines for young girls' birthday parties and of course, random movie images. I've read about the late night sessions at various film festivals on Matt Dentler's blog, and walked out of the upstairs as it was just starting to get going at the Austin Chronicle annual Christmas party. But I'd never experienced it like this, up close and personal. A small room w/ comfy seating, multiple video monitors, a song book with titles in english and korean, and asian videos. The group downed multiple beers while singing their hearts out. Seriously! I mean, major major commitment to the performances and the singing. It was hilarious. It was eye-opening. Of course they all kept prodding me to try but I never got the impulse. Appreciated it, enjoyed it, stayed happily on the sidelines.

I think it's a generational thing. I think if I'd grown up with it, or even started in my 20s, it would feel completely different, it would feel possible, even natural. But even now, from this aged vantage point, what a great kind of clean and innocent fun. What a great way to pass some time with friends.

(Particular personal favorites included Bon Jovi's, "Bad Medicine", Courtney Love's, "Celebrity Skin", Rage Againt the Machine's, "Killing In the Name Of", and the last line of "Bohemian Rhapsody".) To last night's cohorts - thanks for letting me tag along. Nice job all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So jealous. I've been looking for an excuse to do karaoke in Austin for months. Seriously, months!