Saturday, May 26, 2007

These wonderful films actually made by women

After the Wedding was totally worth the wait. Textured, nuanced, lovely. One could, I guess, complain about the soap opera aspects but overall, it was gorgeous and involving. Really loved the thriving middle-aged marriage. The leads stellar. Definitely recommend.

What I realized as I left the Arbor today, is how four of the last excellent films I've seen were all directed by women. Five if you count the doc Manufactured Landscapes. The Namesake was directed by Mira Nair. Away from Her by the actress Sarah Polley. Waitress by the late actress/director Adrienne Shelly. After the Wedding by Susanne Bier. I loved all these films. They were all beautifully made with tremendously interesting performances and engaging story lines.

People, well people I often talk to, are often bemoaning the lack of women directors. Where are they? Why is it so much harder for them to sustain careers? And don't even bring up Nora Ephron or Nancy Meyers. They may make commercially successful films but they really don't speak for me. I thought Something's Gotta Give was one of the most sexist, offensive films ever! But thinking about it, over the decades it's clear that women have had it harder, and it's always been hard to understand why. Particularly in the independent arena where there really was/is an even playing field. This is a lovely new development. Even though I know it's still the art ghetto world gross-wise. Still lovely to see and experience. Next up that I'm looking forward to? Julia Loktev's Day Night Day Night and Julie Taymor's Across the Universe.

No comments: