Friday, April 27, 2007

Have a great time at your fest Ebert!

This isn't a film biz blog but I can't believe that any of my normal stops didn't link to this essay by Roger Ebert on his current health situation on the eve of his Overlooked Film Festival. Maybe I'm just behind in my reading. In any case, am glad Lisa Rosman directed me to it today.

We spend too much time hiding illness. There is an assumption that I must always look the same. I hope to look better than I look now. But I’m not going to miss my festival.

Why do I want to go? Above all, to see the movies. Then to meet old friends and great directors and personally thank all the loyal audience members who continue to support the festival.

At least, not being able to speak, I am spared the need to explain why every film is “overlooked,” or why I wrote “Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.”

Being sick is no fun. But you can have fun while you’re sick. I wouldn’t miss the festival for anything! (complete)


Roger Ebert is a towering figure in the film world. A huge fan, a tireless writer, and at times a heroic champion. We've been wishing him well during this whole sorry process of illness, treatment, recovering and relapse. Today thrilled to applaud his can-do spirit and excitement to enjoy his annual fest - doctors be damned. A toast to you Roger!! Enjoy!

No comments: