Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Bob Altman, a great artist

The life cycle is finite. Thank God. Because otherwise how could we appreciate anything? "In limitation there is freedom'" my H.S. English teacher used to say. I know this attitude could change as I age, but at almost 50, I don't want to live forever. I don't even want to live til 90 I don't think. I'm still young enough to fear aging and I'm clear eyed enough to see how hard and lonely it is for so many. The goal is to live well now, everyday, make it count now.

It's with that in mind that I think so fondly of the dearly departed Robert Altman. I love his work. Oh, not every single film, but most. Even just a couple soar above the work of so many others and he did it again, and again, and again.

There will be terrific tributes and critical analyses elsewhere. I just found myself thinking how much I would love to be at the funeral/memorial. Can you imagine the density of talent? And not just quantity but the quality!! Ooh I wish I could be there. Someone should actually film it. Like an AFI tribute.....

No comments: