Tuesday, October 31, 2006

why get out of bed

Had a surprising conversation today. A good friend and excellent producer shared, "my ego is tied up with helping others. The instinct is there even before the decision. If someone tells me I did a good job, I don't care. What I care about is that I helped someone else. And I think you and I are alike that way."

This felt like a gift. Not because we're a background support group, but because it's an attempt to make concrete what our instincts are, in the most positive way. That it's a choice, not a liability. It's that whole old truism about being comfortable in one's own skin. Sure, that 's often a physical understanding, but it's also about recognizing who you are, really are, and valuing that. I hadn't been asking. He just reached out across the table and handed that to me. It still feels good.

No comments: