Thursday, October 19, 2006

So long Women Having It All

Kinda sad. Just when I'm getting going (although it's been a quiet week), one of the blogs that inspired me is closing down. It's Women Having It all.

I bumped into it on a rare occasion when I was reading the Huffington Post and was instantly enamored. The title read:
Here's the unfolding story of two friends who worked as reporters at a major newspaper before their lives went in opposite directions. Lisa became a mother and reluctant housewife. Kelly stayed on the career track. Are they totally happy and fulfilled with the choices postmodern feminism has afforded them? No. Do they want each other’s lives? Yes. No, wait. No. Such is the dilemma of every female of a certain age. Sometimes having it all means doing what you feel least bad about at the time.
I'm not much of a fan of the mommy blogs I've come across. Sure I would have loved them when my kids were small, would have loved writing one then too, to help get through some of the tedium of those early years. But now they're almost grown, and I just can't deal with the precious minutiae. Yes it's defines your every waking hour for years. But when it's over, it's over. Women Having It All was funny and engaging because of the contrast. And I really got a kick out of Kelly's writing.

Yesterday Kelly wrote:
Next week I will be on vacation. And because I am a caveman who does not seek out technology, I think it is a good time for me to take a break. I am sure that Lisa can carry the blog at least that long. I am not sure what I will do after that. I may not return. I am not comfortable talking about my job, or my personal opinions here, and that leaves little else. I think I am starting to bore you all. Also, at least one person has expressed concerns that I may have an alcohol problem. I assure you I do not. What I am is a writer who was trying to make folks laugh. And I feel like I have failed.

Today from Lisa:
Dear Readers, It has simply blown my mind that we have had readers of this blog who were people other than our own mothers. Thank you for taking the time in your day to read us when there are a gazillion other cool things on the Internet you could have been looking at.

Well thanks strangers. Sorry to see you go. Thanks for sharing your lives for awhile. I really enjoyed it. And I definitely did laugh.

No comments: