Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Friday Night Lights

Friday Night Lights, the TV series, debuted tonight. It was thrilling for several reasons. First, because it was great. Beautifully shot, beautifully told, engaging. Second, because we live in Texas now. And if you want to know one of the reasons we love it, you can watch this show. I know, I know, I never watched a football game before in my life! Never!! But this is Texas. And High School football is fun and exciting. John and I started going to our kids' Friday Night games before they ever did. Now W. is a fan, friends with several of the players, even visiting iHop on game eve for carb loading support. You have to see it to believe it.

I went to a small public NY high school, as did the kids in the town before we moved. There was football but no spectacle. No 150+ kids in spiffy uniforms in a rockin' marching band. No 60+ sequined cowgirl/wet dreams, formally known as the blue brigade. No flag girls or spirit boys. Ok, sure cheerleaders, but not cheering a crowd this large. It's a spectacle and it's funny as hell. The fans wear team colored shirts. They are way into the game. The air is warm, skies blue. The games are under bright lights. I'm into it, and I can't believe it - a big part of life now here in Texas. (OK, sure, I'm not really into the game - I can't see half of what others are crazed about. I can barely follow the game but I'm learning. And I'm digging the scenery.)

And third & fourth, our daughter's working on it, and they're shooting right in our neighborhood. Sure it's set in West Texas, but the production is based in Austin. Not exactly the same but there's overlap. Know that eatery? -- where "everyone goes?" Yeah, so do we. It's basically around the corner! And our daughter is a Rigger in Electric. She's that hot young girl in the black tee, working like a mother f*cker, gaffer's tape hanging off her belt.

It's a slam dunk for the hometeam. When we first moved here, and our kids attended their first pep rally, they came home shell shocked. "These Texans have too much...too much....uh...spirit," they whined.

Texas pride, baby. Texas pride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet- just saw FNL last night and loved it - Nat had seen it the week before and loved it but wasn't sure I would like it.

Anonymous said...

I love this post:) Janet, you really are inspiring. I just moved to LA from Austin in December, and I truly miss it... last week's FNL episode made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside... it was the last episode I had worked on... I'm just trying things out over here, seeing what the buzz is all about. So far, it's okay, but there's nothing like those warm Texas nights under the lights:) hope you and your family are well...

-Adriana